- Web: HTML, CSS, XML, Json
- Architecture: Servlets, Portlets, REST, MVC
- Frameworks: Spring, Bootstrap, jQuery
- Databases: DB2, Oracle, PostgreSql, MySQL
- Deployment: Apache, Tomcat, Docker
- Build: Gradle, Maven, Ant
- Delivery: Agile Scrum, Waterfall
- Cloud: AWS, Azure
Rogue Wave Software - Senior Manager Software Development (July 2015 - Present)
Responsible for leading and managing all software development staff, strategies, and operations for the SourcePro, IMSL, and PV-WAVE product families.
- Manage product lifecycle
- Create and manage annual budgets
- Outline and justify hiring plans
- Develop product vision, software architecture, and delivery plans using Agile Scrum methods
- Manage, coach, evaluate, and conduct career development for distributed software development teams
- Develop inbound and outbound open source software licensing regimes and open source strategies
- Organize and facilitate Agile and Scrum meetings, including sprint planning, daily scrum stand-ups, sprint review & retrospectives
- Handle executive briefing and reporting on scrum metrics, burn-down and process improvements
- Resolve conflict, improve morale, and establish clear goals by effectively managing timelines and shared resources with special emphasis on building relationships across departments
University of Illinois - Director Software Development (August 2004 - July 2015)
Responsible for leading and managing all software development staff, strategies, and operations for the Project Delivery Unit, as well as chairing strategic virtual business units for advancing software architecture and human resource development and management.
- Ensured the management, coaching, and career development of 20 aggregate software development staff.
- Remotely managed software development and delivery teams, employing both traditional and agile project management methodologies and techniques.
- Created and managed annual budgets and outline and justify hiring plans.
- Owned software architecture management office charged with maintaining current state architecture information libraries, as well as developing strategic roadmaps for evolving the software architecture.
- Owned resource management office charged with maintaining staff profiles, skills databases, and project assignment matrices, as well as developing tools for personnel development.
- Served as liaison to University leadership regarding open source communities and implementations. Researching and leading the adoption of suitable open source software solutions.
- Led the implementation of web based application suites from enterprise level authoritative data sources, to RESTful web APIs, to the portlet and servlet based web user interfaces.
- Participated in strategic leadership teams exploring the implementation and adoption of electronic workflow products and processes, as well as mobile computing technologies and practices.
- Led three-campus open source portal implementation project, including integration with existing enterprise identity management systems (i.e. Active Directory) and service oriented architecture (i.e. OpenEAI)
Keane, Inc. - Principal Technology Consultant (August 1998 - August 2004)
Responsible for various software development and project management deliverables throughout both product and project lifecycles, completing multiple contracts for Fortune 50 corporations State Farm Insurance and Caterpillar, Inc.
- Involved in all aspects of the project lifecycle through planning and developing schedules of work and strategies for completing a number of projects with strictly imposed deadlines.
- Managed testing efforts on multiple projects, working with business partners and enterprise service areas to ensure that defects were corrected and milestones and deadlines were met.
- Assumed the lead role in a pilot project designing and developing a web based 360 Feedback application on the Websphere Application Server platform.
- Developed strategies and toolkits to bridge gaps between mainframe, client-server, and web development resources to enable modern development, debugging, and testing techniques for hundreds of developers accustomed to legacy mainframe environments.
- Aided in staff allocation, coordination, and oversight
- Developed internal contracts for project engagements with offsite resources
- Led teams of multiple project planners and software developers
City of Decatur, Illinois - Application Developer and DBA (January 1995 - August 1998)
Responsible for application design and development, as well as database design and administration for new software systems using client-server technologies to replace existing legacy mainframe architecture.
- Installed, maintained, designed, tuned, and administered all databases.
- Involved in all aspects of the application development process as lead designer and developer.
- Designed and developed a human resource application that included time reporting for a complex set of contract rules required by Police Department, Fire Department, and Public Works unions.
- Involved in technology assessment for ArcCAD and ArcGIS mapping software for engineering department.
- Developed applications on multiple platforms including Powerbuilder, Cobol, and SQL Windows accessing IBM DB2 UDB, Gupta SQLBase, and VSAM file structures.
- Illinois State University
- Bachelor of Science
- Major: Computer Science
- Minor: Business Administration
- University of Illinois
- Graduate Coursework
- Focus: Business Administration
- Focus: Legal Studies
Apereo Foundation - Board Member (August 2010 - Present)
Responsible for collaborating to create a vision for the organization that supports the foundation mission and provides a long term sustainable pathway for valuable open source products in the Higher Education sector.
- Elected to Jasig Board of Directors in 2010, became Apereo Founding Board member in 2012.
- Served as Treasurer, Infrastructure Team Liaison, Conference Planning Team Member, Incubating Project Mentor, and uPortal Steering Team Member
- Served on various advisory groups to assess and steer strategic and operational aspects of the foundation.
- Conceptualized and evolved funding mechanisms to ensure sustainability of the foundation and products.
- Developed membership and funding strategies
- Developed knowledge of inbound and outbound open source software licensing regimes
- Coached and developed open source software projects and open communities of interest
LogicLander LLC - Independent Consulting (January 2012 - Present)
Responsible for leading and coordinating cloud based software development and delivery projects specializing in open source integration and implementation.
- Designed, co-developed, and marketed Cogo, an order entry and inventory system for fabrication shops.
- Designed and co-developed the JAASmine library, a JAAS based Kerberos authentication framework for facilitating GSS-API authentication of web application and web service requests.
- Architected and developed secure Java based RESTful web services and web applications hosted in Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Implemented identity and access management including the installation, configuration, and migration of Shibboleth 2/3 upgrades
- Prototyped identity and access management integration with Microsoft Azure cloud container services, Azure CLI, Docker, and Shibboleth IdP (see https://libraries.io/github/Unicon/shib3acs)
- PMP, Project Management Prof. (since 2004)
- CSM, Certified Scrum Master (since 2015)
- CSPO, Certified Scrum Product Owner (since 2015)